The arrow of time only moves forward, and in a system as enclosed and chaotic as New York, it’s almost impossible not to be swept up by its entropic force. In an attempt to bring some order to these proceedings, we offer a brief roundup of music venue news that may have passed you by. New venues have opened, old favorites have closed and a bunch of new stuff is on the way.
Let’s start with the good news:
1) We featured new Williamsburg venue, Baby’s All Right in a recent Where It’s At profile. They’re starting to get in the swing of things with regular shows now. Twin Peaks and Quilt look particularly enticing.
2) The team behind Celebrate Brooklyn opened BRIC House at the beginning of October, after a two-year and $35+ million renovation at the old Strand Theater in Fort Greene. Stay tuned for updates and features.
3) A new rock venue in Bedstuy called Olivia opened on the 25th of October.
4) Brooklyn Night Bazaar opened its permanent location this past weekend with a spirited performance from Spank Rock, and will churn out free shows every weekend for the forseeable future. Kitty Pryde, A Place To Bury Strangers and Small Black are all playing the bazaar in the coming weeks.
5) Things seems to be picking up again at the Wellmont Theater after changing hands from Bowery Presents to Live Nation. The venue re-opened on the 6th of September and Montclair can now look forward hosting shows by, erm, Megadeth and The Cult…
The bad news:
2) LES staple The Living Room closed its doors after hosting its final show on the 26th of October.
3) Public Assembly is now a pristine cocktail bar with a motorcycle in the window. It was previously rumored that the space would be rebranded and never host live music again, after renovations began in July. Their last Facebook update simply reads “yo tell my girl yo i be GONE TIL NOVEMBER…“, and their website appears to be no more. The new space looks to be a far cry from the old Galapagos days…
4) All is still quiet over at Apostrophe after they were raided by the police back in September, though they’re looking for a new space to throw parties.
1) As we previously reported, the old Silent Barn space is re-opening... at some point.
2) Work at Market Hotel is ongoing, after having their alteration plan approved, as we mentioned back in September.
3) Radio Bushwick radio station, bar and performance is still coming soon. A recent walk down Wyckoff suggests that the space is pretty close to opening.